Our department has more than 200 enrolled majors in mathematics and actuarial science at the undergraduate level and in mathematics at the master's level. We also offer many mathematics and statistics support courses for other majors. Check out the information below and in the main and sidebar menus!
- Looking for information about programs (majors, minors, certificates, the honors program)? Check out the Academics main menu (on a phone these will be in the "hamburger" list).
- Can't find something you need to know? Contact Astrid Sosa for help. Room 342 Walker; SosaAA1@appstate.edu, 828-262-2369.
- Want to get involved? Check out the student clubs and also the Student Advisory Board.
- Colloquium: Fridays at 1 PM in 103A Walker Hall or via ZOOM [Schedule]
- Student-Faculty Tea: Come and join us for tea, hot chocolate, and cookies or other goodies. Tea is from 2:30 to 4:00-ish each Wednesday afternoon in the third floor 'Elevator Lobby' of Walker Hall. Everyone is welcome!
- Student Scholars Day (SSD): Each Spring, undergraduate and graduate students present their scholarly endeavors at our annual student scholars day, held on campus in Walker Hall each April. Students give a short talk or participate in the poster session. Group presentations and posters are welcomed.
- Pi Day: On or near March 15: Each year the department participates in activities in order to encourage interest in mathematics (and pie!). Our most recent activities included "pie-ing" professors. [Photos]
Our students participate in a number of math contests such as:
- The COMAP Math Contest in Modeling -- This contest occurs each year in February. Teams of 3 students tackle a real-world problem in a weekend and submit a careful write up. Interested? Contact Dr. Eric Marland (MarlandES@appstate.edu, 343 Walker).
- The Virginia Tech Regional Mathematics Contest -- This contest occurs every fall in October, and gives students a chance to test their metal on some interesting undergraduate mathematics problems. Taking this test is good practice for the Putnam exam. Interested? Contact Dr. Terry Anderson (AndersnTG@appstate.edu, 325 Walker).
- The William Lowell Putnam Mathematical Competition -- This competition is the preeminent mathematics competition for undergraduate college students in the United States and Canada. Sponsored by the Mathematical Association of America, the Exam is offered every December and involves working all day on 6 challenging mathematics problems. Interested? Contact Dr. Katie Mawhinney (MawhinneyKJ@appstate.edu, 345 Walker).
- ASA DataFest Competition -- This competition, held at Duke University, provides teams of up to five students attack a large, complex, and surprise data set over a weekend. Interested? Contact Jill Thomley (ThomleyJE@appstate.edu, 228 Walker).