The Department of Mathematical Sciences comprises more than 50 full- and part-time faculty and more than 200 majors in mathematics and actuarial science. Our faculty teach mathematics and statistics courses from freshman to master's level and contribute to scholarship in many areas across the mathematical sciences. Check out the information in the main and sidebar menus to learn more, and come to visit our department in Walker Hall.
The Department educates Appalachian students in pure and applied mathematics, mathematics education, statistics, and actuarial science. This includes offering courses necessary for the department’s undergraduate and graduate majors, and carefully advising those students. Additionally, the department provides all students at Appalachian with meaningful experiences in mathematics through its service courses. Departmental faculty promote intellectual curiosity, critical thinking, and a culture of learning through meaningful educational, scholarly, and service experiences. In support of this mission, the faculty of the Department provide mentoring and collaborative educational experiences, engage in scholarship, and serve the discipline, the university, the region, the state, and the nation.
Commitment to Inclusivity
The Department actively supports efforts to enhance inclusiveness so that every member of the academic community can participate and excel to the best of their ability. The Department is committed to removing barriers, supporting success, and recognizing achievements through:
- Building a diverse mathematical community conducive to a respectful and collaborative exchange of ideas.
- Creating a welcoming environment for all students, faculty, and staff in a safe and supportive atmosphere.
- Recognizing the different challenges and experiences that students bring to the classroom.
- Supporting mathematical learning for all students through active engagement in and out of the classroom.
- Encouraging and valuing the contributions of all members of our community in the academic endeavor.