The math sciences department works in conjunction with the Student Learning Center to run help labs open to any Appalachian State student.
Tutors are available to help FOR FREE!!!
When you come to lab for help, be sure to bring all of the resources needed (book, notes, assignments, etc.) with you. Please note that the tutors will NOT do your work for you -- they are there to assist you to do your work yourself! Come with the work you have done so far to show the tutors what you have been able to do, and what you do not yet understand. Also keep in mind that the labs are not set up for private tutoring, so be prepared to work with other students from the same courses.
Fall 2023 Math Tutoring
Main Campus Drop in tutoring for Math and Stats (no appointment required):
- In person: Monday-Thursday from 5-8 pm, D.D. Dougherty Room 208
- In Zoom: Monday-Thursday from 8-10 pm, Zoom link: https://appstate.zoom.us/my/matstt
Hickory Campus Drop in tutoring for Math and Stats (no appointment required):
- Calculus with Analytic Geometry I & II (1110 and 1120), Pre-calculus (MAT 1025), College Algebra with Applications (MAT 1020), and Intro to Linear Algebra (MAT 2240): Tuesdays: 2:00pm-3:30pm; Wednesdays: 9:00am-11:00am; Thursdays: 2:00pm-3:30pm. Room 1128.
Tutoring by Appointment for either campus (both in person and online):
- Students can schedule an appointment as early as two weeks in advance up to 24 hours before the scheduled appointment via TracCloud.
- They are able to schedule two appointments per week per course.
- If students have any trouble using TracCloud please have them contact the student learning center.
Courses Tutored in Math Lab
- PRAXIS and GRE test preparation
- Algebra and Pre-Calculus Classes (MAT 1001, 1005, 1010, 1020, 1025)
- Business Math (MAT 1035)
- Calculus Classes (MAT 1110, 1120, 2130)
- Intro Statistics (STT 1810, 2810, 2820)
Depending on which tutors are working on which day, tutors may also be able to help with more advanced math/stt courses (MAT 2110, 2240, 3310, 3130, 3220; STT 3850, 3851)
Course descriptions are available in Appalachian's Course Catalog.
Everyone in search of math help is welcome. The staff can answer questions, check answers, and provide additional practice problems.
The Math Labs are staffed by:
- Peer Tutors: juniors and seniors with demonstrated tutoring abilities
- Graduate Students: graduate students in mathematical sciences
- Faculty Volunteers: mathematical sciences faculty who donate their time to help
The Math Lab is coordinated by Libby Clary (email@example.com) from the Student Learning Center and Genie Griffin from the Department of Mathematical Sciences. If you have comments or questions, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.