The math sciences department works in conjunction with the Student Learning Center to run help labs open to any Appalachian State student.
Tutors are available to help FOR FREE!!!
When you come to lab for help, be sure to bring all of the resources needed (book, notes, assignments, etc.) with you. Please note that the tutors will NOT do your work for you -- they are there to assist you to do your work yourself! Come with the work you have done so far to show the tutors what you have been able to do, and what you do not yet understand. Also keep in mind that the labs are not set up for private tutoring, so be prepared to work with other students from the same courses.
We have both face-to-face and online tutoring through zoom!
2021 Fall Semester Math Tutoring
- MAT 1035 BUSINESS MATH (and ECO 2100/2200 Business Stats): Sunday through Wednesday, 5-7 PM, EITHER
- in Anne Belk Hall Room 325 -- OR --
- via zoom at: https://appstate.zoom.us/my/busmatlearninglab
- ALL OTHER STT AND MAT COURSES (and GRE prep, PRAXIS math prep) Sunday through Thursday. 4-7 PM, EITHER
- in 103A Walker Hall -- OR --
- via zoom at: https://appstate.zoom.us/my/genmatlearninglab
- ADDITIONAL HOURS ZOOM ONLY: Sunday through Thursday, 8-11 PM: https://appstate.zoom.us/my/genmatlearninglab
Courses Tutored in General Math Lab
- PRAXIS prep
- GRE prep
- College Algebra (MAT 1020)
- Pre-Calculus (MAT 1025)
- Calculus I, II, III (MAT 1110, 1120, 2130)
- Intro Statistics (STT 1810, 2810, 2820)
- Techniques of Proof (MAT 2110)
- Linear and Modern Algebra (MAT 2240, 3110)
- Differential Equations (MAT 3130)
- Real Analysis (MAT 3220)
- Statistics and R (STT 3850, 3851)
Course descriptions are available in Appalachian's Course Catalog.
Everyone in search of math help is welcome. The staff can answer questions, check answers, and provide additional practice problems.
The Math Labs are staffed by:
- Peer Tutors: juniors and seniors with demonstrated tutoring abilities
- Graduate Students: graduate students in mathematical sciences
- Faculty Volunteers: mathematical sciences faculty who donate their time to help
The Math Lab is coordinated by Katharine Johnson (firstname.lastname@example.org), from the Student Learning Center, and Lisa Maggiore and Genie Griffin from the Department of Mathematical Sciences. If you have comments or questions, please e-mail email@example.com (general math lab) or firstname.lastname@example.org (business math lab).