Master of Arts in Mathematics
Our program is designed for students who are interested in pursuing a rigorous graduate program in mathematics with the added benefit of gaining hands-on training and experience with teaching. It can:
- qualify students for advanced teacher licensure in high school mathematics,
- prepare students for community college teaching positions, or
- serve as excellent preparation for doctoral programs in mathematics or mathematics education.
Students complete the program with solid foundations in mathematics as well as knowledge of pedagogical issues such as collaborative learning, effective classroom teaching, assessment strategies, and the use of technology in the classroom.
Students pursue one or both of two concentrations.
- Concentration in College Teaching - Designed for students who are interested in teaching mathematics at the college level. The course of study follows the American Mathematical Association of Two Year Colleges (AMATYC) guidelines for faculty preparation, in addition to allowing students to complete a rigorous core of graduate level mathematics.
- Concentration in Secondary Teaching - Designed for students who are interested in furthering their secondary school teaching credentials. The course of study follows the North Carolina guidelines for advanced (M) licensure in mathematics, as well as CAEP accreditation guidelines on the preparation of master's level mathematics high school teachers.
Want to learn more? Follow the links in the left sidebar or contact us!