Mathematical Sciences and Quantitative Literacy
The Department of Mathematical Sciences takes the leading role in providing Appalachian's students with educational opportunities in quantitative literacy.
- Department Statement on Further Reducing Appalachian's Quantitative Literacy and Science Requirements [pdf] (endorsed Sept, 2012.)
- The Impact and Role of Mathematical Sciences in General Education [pdf], Mathematical Sciences department statement (approved March, 2006)
- Department Quantitative Literacy Guidelines [pdf] — Final Draft (approved April, 2008)
- Quantitative Reasoning for College Graduates: A Complement to the Standards, report of the MAA CUPM Subcommittee on Quantitative Literacy (1998)
- Mathematics and Democracy: The Case for Quantitative Literacy, L. Steen (ed.) (2001)
Mathematical Sciences' QL Designated Courses
General Education's QL Student Outcomes Codes
- Student Outcome 1B.
- Successfully integrate disparate concepts and information when interpreting, solving problems, evaluating, creating, and making decisions
- Student Outcome 1D.
- Construct persuasive arguments in increasingly complex contexts
- Student Outcome 2F.
- Know, apply, and communicate college‐level quantitative concepts and methods
- Student Outcome 2G.
- Select and use hardware, software applications, databases, and other technologies effectively for both inquiry and communication
- Student Outcome 4C.
- Collaborate effectively with others in shared processes of inquiry and problem solving
Sample Assignments for QL Assessment
The assignments attached below have been used for assessment in QL designated courses. See QL Outcomes and Program Assessment from the General Education website for more information. (See the tutorial on using AsULearn for QL assessment assignments.)
|MAT 1025 QL Project (WCB) - Arctic Sea Ice Extent||719.33 KB|
|MAT 1110 QL Project (WCB) - Space Shuttle G Forces||287.46 KB|
|MAT 1110 QL Project (KLS) - Logistic Population Modeling||1008.01 KB|
|MAT 1110 QL Project (PES) - Population Modeling.pdf||109.76 KB|
|MAT 1110 QL Project (PES) - Population Modeling.pdf.tex_.txt||Text||2.42 KB|