The Department is seeking applicants for the position of Department Chair to begin in July 2023.
To read the full job descripion and submit an application: https://appstate.peopleadmin.com/postings/37488
We are searching for an effective faculty member, leader, and mentor who will:
- Serve as the academic leader of our student-centered department to build an equitable and diverse scholarly environment by
- developing fair and effective administrative policies,
- efficiently managing administrative minutiae,
- overseeing strategic planning, visioning, and assessment of programs within the department, and
- maintaining a curriculum that is relevant and fosters student success.
- Clearly communicate expectations within the department and make decisions in a transparent manner to ensure program excellence.
- Encourage collaboration and work closely and effectively with partners across the College and University.
- Advocate for the department’s needs and pursue additional resources that are necessary to ensure faculty and student success.
- Maintain active scholarship, effective and innovative teaching, and exemplary service to the Department, College, University, and profession.
- Respectfully supervise staff and mentor faculty by supporting
- innovations in teaching,
- efforts to improve faculty scholarly achievement,
- promoting efforts to improve student opportunity, engagement, and achievement, and
- by resolving conflicts in a professional and respectful manner.
Minimum qualifications include:
- An earned doctorate in a field appropriate to the department, including at least 18 credit hours of mathematics or statistics coursework at the graduate level.
- A record commensurate with a tenured appointment at the rank of Associate Professor or Professor.
- Well-developed administrative capabilities that exhibit a record of, or potential for, collaborative, effective, progressive, and visionary leadership within a diverse unit or department.
- Demonstrated experience in or potential for supervising and mentoring faculty and staff.
- Demonstrated experience in or potential for building an equitable and inclusive environment for teaching, mentoring, scholarship, and/or service.
Questions may be directed to Dr. Greg Rhoads, Search Committee Chair, email@example.com.
About Our Department
The Chair will lead a department of 32 tenure track faculty and more than 20 lecturers who…
- Engage in scholarly endeavors encompassing actuarial science and both pure and applied mathematics and statistics, as well as mathematics and statistics education.
- Teach courses for quantitative literacy-general education; the BA, BS, and MA degrees in Mathematics; the BS in Actuarial Science; and an undergraduate certificate in Sports Analytics.
- Provide outreach and service within the university, state, region, and nation.
Tenure-track faculty teach 18 hours split between Fall and Spring semesters each academic year, with opportunities to teach additional courses in summer session. Scholarship is defined broadly, including externally validated products beyond traditional research publications.
Housed in the College of Arts and Sciences, the Department graduates approximately 50 undergraduates and 10 graduate students each year, all of whom complete a project with a faculty mentor, providing many opportunities to engage students in scholarly endeavors.
Located in the High Country of North Carolina at an elevation of 3333 feet in the Town of Boone, our winters are snowy and our summers are mild. Outdoor activities include skiing, hiking, and more. Between the University and the community, we have a lively arts scene with varied music and art events, including the annual Appalachian Summer Festival.
Please follow these links and probe our website to learn more about us!